Thursday, September 30, 2010

German Course Adventures

I just got back from the university to register for my German Language course, which is a requirement of the au pair contract.

I decided to ride my bike for the first time. It started out great, because I just rode in the bike lane on the street. Then suddenly, the bike lane disappeared and I was riding right next to tram tracks. Then a tram rode RIGHT by me...I'm surprised it didn't touch my shoulder.

I immediately got off the bike and walked it on the sidewalk.

Finally, I found another bike path, and rode the rest of the way to the university. I guess I still need to work out my bike routes.

When I got to the Language Center, I had to wait about an hour just to get into the test room. After speaking shortly with the proctor, he gave me the highest level placement exam. I was pretty nervous, especially because I haven't had proper German language classes for four years now. Once I finished, the proctor corrected the exam right in front of me. I was so uncomfortable, because I felt like my grammar was pretty rusty, and I'm always pessimistic about test results.

Then the proctor said jokingly, "So, do you want to take a class or teach one?"

Whew, sigh of relief! He placed me in the highest level course. It will be a huge challenge I think, but I'm really looking forward to it. The course will meet from 5:45 - 8:15 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays from October 12 - December 15. I think it will be similar to my experience at the Goethe Institute in Munich four summers ago, and I hope to meet a lot of interesting people.

We had to write our job information on the registration sheet, so I wrote au pair/opera singer. When the proctor finished grading my exam, he asked me for my autograph. I laughed. He wasn't kidding. So I'm sitting there in the test room with about a dozen people around taking the exam, and I'm giving this guy my autograph! It was hilarious! (I mean, here I am, totally serious and nervous about this exam, and all he cares about is an autograph?! I don't even know how thoroughly he corrected my work!) He also asked me to write a special message, so I promised him tickets if I ever sing at the Staatsoper.

Man, what an experience that was.

I realize I still have to update you all on Vinzi's Name Day, but I have to go pick up the little guy from school right now, so that will have to wait. Hopefully I'll get to it later this evening!

Bis dann :)

No comments:

Post a Comment