Friday, October 1, 2010

Name Day & Emilia


Happy October, everyone! I can't believe how quickly September flew by. I've already been seeing some Halloween decorations in Vienna. Everything is so much more "Americanized" in Europe just since I lived in Germany ten years ago. Halloween was so foreign to my friends and host family in Germany in 2000, but now, in 2010, children over here are talking about trick or treating and Halloween parties.

Emilia, for example, was a bat for Halloween last year. She might be Ariel from The Little Mermaid this year, because Ariel is her favorite Disney Princess. Though Emilia informed me (in English) that she doesn't like red hair.

Here she is!



Emilia's favorite color is purple. :)


Vinzi's Name Day celebration was a lot of fun the other evening. It's pretty much a smaller version of a birthday party. Everyone sang a traditional folk song to him, and he was presented with a cake and a few little gifts.

Vinzi and I got off to a bit of a rocky start, as I think he was testing me out, but now we're getting along so well. I'd say that my best friend in Vienna right now is a blonde little six year old!

In these photos: Harald, Irmgard, Vinzenz, Alma (Vinzenz's cousin), Judith (Vinzenz's Godmother)


Oooh, Abalone! Vinzenz loves games. Especially checkers and chess. Games were really never my thing, but I'm learning to love them. :)

I have a coaching this evening with David at the Staatsoper at 6.30, and then there is a performance of TOSCA beginning at 8PM. I'm secretly hoping that he sneaks me backstage for TOSCA as he did for BOHÈME. I shouldn't get my hopes up, of course, but it sure would be exciting!






2 comments:

  1. Gosh, if I knew that was all it would take to get you to like board games I would have imported a small Austrian boy to Bloomington years ago. ;-)

    ReplyDelete