Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Viennese Audition



My first agent audition went well enough for me to report back!

Overall, I would say that it was a positive, successful first European audition experience. David, my coach, organized this audition for an American soprano, Jenufa, and me. It was so nice to have a private audition, as the agent was able to take time to give me immediate feedback. I have to admit that I was too nervous for my own good, but my nerves calmed down by the time I began my second piece, and I was able to get a hold of my breath and calm my mind. I'm so glad to have this first audition out of the way, as now I have a better idea of what to expect. This particular agent said that my voice is best suited for coloratura (i.e. Rossini) and French repertoire. I still haven't had a chance to really talk to David about what he thought (he accompanied me), so I look forward to hearing his opinion. I don't think I'll be hearing back from the agent, but I wouldn't have expected that so early in the game. He has my contact information, though, so who knows!

After singing, Jenufa and I treated ourselves to coffee at the famous Hotel Sacher, which is right across the street from the opera house. Jenufa is twelve years older than I, and lives in Florence with her husband. She's been singing in Europe for several years now, and had a lot of great advice for me. I look forward to keeping in contact with her, and maybe visiting her in Italy someday! We took this photo together at the Hotel Sacher Café. When we asked our server to take our picture, the entire café became silent, and everyone started staring at us. I still don't know why. Maybe you can even see how much I was blushing in this photo!




That's all for now...I'm off to review some French arias! :)

2 comments:

  1. You look beautiful hon!!
    mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as if things are moving along in the right direction. We still miss you in choir at FUMC. Thanks for all the pictures and narratives.

    ReplyDelete