Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Starting the last week in September



A Day with the Family

After blogging on Sunday, I spent the afternoon and evening with the Herkners and some of their relatives and family. I met everyone downtown after taking advantage of the empty house to do some practicing. It really is so comforting knowing that the family is happy to include me in their activities, and that I never have to feel like a "guest". At first, this was a little tough for me, but I'm starting to feel more like part of the family, and the boys have really started to warm up to me in just the past few days.

It was absolutely freezing here in Sunday, and it gets very windy in Vienna. After our little outing downtown, we all rushed to the tram station, braving the cold. I thought that Lorenz looked absolutely adorable in this hat, so I captured this cute photo of him once we got on the tram. His mother told me that he bought that hat for himself on a family vacation in Lucca, Italy. (Oh, and there's Vinzi in the back!)




Deutsches Deutsch

Every time I meet a new friend or family member of the Herkners, the conversation goes something like this (translated):

Friend: "Where did you learn to speak German?"
Me: "I lived in Germany for a year as an exchange student."
Friend (curiously): "Where in Germany?"
Me: "Right in the middle. My host family was from Hannover."
Friend (usually smirking): "OH, okay. Because you speak with an accent. A German accent."
Me (not really knowing how to respond): "Yes. I don't speak Viennese!"

It's so funny to me that I have a "German" accent here. Better than an American one, that's for sure!


Trips to School


When I first started walking Vinzenz to school and saw how fast he would weave through pedestrians on this scooter, I was a nervous wreck. He's a very agile little boy, and there is a brake on the back of the scooter, but I had to explain to him that he can't ride as fast when I'm walking with him. He listened right away (to my surprise), and now he just does a couple of tricks to show off (see middle photo), and always waits for me if I can't keep up. Actually, I have to admit: sometimes I ride his scooter on the way back to the house by myself. It really IS fun! ;)





A New Friend from the Dear Friends!


Several years ago, my dad was part of a vocal/instrumental ensemble in Pittsburgh called the Dear Friends, specializing in 19th Century folk and parlor music. The group was named for Pittsburgh composer, Stephen Foster, who died at the age of 37 with a note on a scrap of paper in his pocket that read, "dear friends and gentle hearts". My dad has kept in touch with his colleagues from the group, and when I found out I was going to Vienna, the Dear Friends flutist told us that her grandson, Kornel, is studying conducting at the music conservatory here. I emailed him this weekend, and we met last night for Italian food. Not only was Italian such a welcoming change from the Austrian cuisine, but meeting Kornel was so much fun, and it was so refreshing spending time with someone my own age, who is also pursuing a career in music in Vienna. I look forward to developing a friendship with him over here. It really is such a small world! The picture below of Kornel and me was taken in the restaurant, and in the background you can see little pots of different herbs. Customers are welcome to take their own pot to add basil, rosemary, or cilantro to their dish. I thought this was such a cute idea!


Tonight, we'll be celebrating Vinzi's Name Day. I really don't know what this means, so I'll be sure to let you all know tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment