Monday, September 13, 2010

Sailing on Saturday, and Sunday in the City


On our way to the New Danube to sail! From left: Wendelin (Lolo's friend), Lolo, Irmgard, Felix, and Irmgard's mother (Großmutti).



Harald and Vinzenz were very excited to go sailing.


Hallo, Vinzi!
Every child in Austria rides a scooter!

The New Danube river.

Lolo and Wendelin shared a boat, and Felix got to sail on his own.

Harald, Irmgard, Vinzi, Großmutti, and I sailed together in this boat.


An entertaining puppeteer in the city.

Stephansdom
This is where Mozart was married and where his funeral was held.
This is also where I performed with the Robert Page Festival Singers in the Summer of 2008.


I can't believe I've already been here for a week! I'm happy to say that it's been quite a smooth transition, moving in with the Herkners and integrating into the Austrian culture thus far. The Herkners have been so kind to include me in their weekend excursions, and it's so much fun being around such an active family. (In fact, they don't even have a T.V. in the house!) On Saturday night, I went to a concert with Harald and Irmgard. I had no idea what to expect, and as it turns out, it was a legitimate rock concert, beat-boxing and all! Needless to say, although Harald and Irmgard work very long, stressful hours, they still set aside time for themselves and know how to have a good time.


On Sunday, I went into the city and sat at an outdoor café for a few hours. It's always entertaining people-watching, and listening to all of the different languages around me. So far, it's mostly English and German that I hear. I'm also noticing that the Viennese love to stare, and don't seem to know how to smile. Irmgard and Harald warned me about this -- it's just a cultural thing, and doesn't mean that they're unfriendly people, but it's something that I have to get used to!

That's all for now. More pictures and updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment