Sunday, September 26, 2010

Where did this last week go?

I can't believe it's already Sunday, and my last entry was this past Wednesday! I suppose it's a good thing that time is starting to go so quickly, as it means I'm starting to make myself busy over here.

Since I wrote last, I had another coaching at the Staatsoper with David, saw yet another opera, and started a second job. My coaching on Thursday went well, but I was pretty tired by the end, because we coached five arias very thoroughly in one hour! I'm hoping to schedule a recording session within the next few weeks so that I can have a demo recording to send to opera companies and agents throughout Europe. I think we're going to try to put down six arias, so this should give me plenty to choose from to present on the final recording.

On Friday, I traveled to the 22nd district of Vienna (I live in the 18th) to "interview" for a second job with another family. This couple has a four-year-old daughter, Emilia, who they are hoping to send to a bilingual school next year. Therefore, they really want her to have a good grasp of the English language before starting school. They've hired me to spend several hours a week with her, just playing and speaking English. The parents, Silvia and Michael (Michi) have requested that I only speak English with them, as well, so that Emilia doesn't realize that I actually speak German. Although this family lives rather far (about 45-50 minutes), I think it will definitely be worth it. They live in a much quieter part of Vienna, and have a beautiful, bright, spacious home. It will just be nice to have the change of pace for me. Also, Emilia is the ultimate girly girl (I've never seen so many fairy princess castles or Polly Pockets in my life), so it's quite a change from my life with the three boys in the 18th District! I met with Emilia again on Saturday for a few hours. I think it's going to take her a little while to warm up to me, but she's already starting to communicate with me a bit in English, and I think we'll get along just fine, once she's more comfortable.

On Friday evening, Jay and I went to the Volksoper to see Puccini's TOSCA. The Volksoper is just a five minute walk from the Herkner's apartment, and when I found out that standing tickets were only 2 Euro a piece, I had no excuse not to check it out! Jay and I got there right as the curtain came up, and somehow accidentally found ourselves in box seats! We were both so excited...until they started singing...in German. Puccini in German just doesn't seem to work.From what I've gathered after seeing Tosca, the Volksoper is better known for their Musicals and Operettas. "Volksoper" means, afterall, "Opera of the People", so it makes complete sense that they would do all of their productions in the language of the folk.

Well, Jay and I didn't stay for all of Tosca.
Instead, we went to Jay's favorite café, Café Berg, where I had an ORIGINAL Budweiser Beer, brewed in the Czech Republic. Much better than the Budweiser we know!



On Saturday, Jay and I met again to go to the Naschmarkt downtown. The Naschmarkt is a huge market in Vienna, with tons of different ethnic food stands and little restaurants. Every Saturday, the Naschmarkt has a flea market, so Jay and I had fun doing a bit of browsing. We were so overwhelmed by the amount of beautiful scarves...and anyone who knows me knows that I'm a bit of a scarf addict!






Sundays in Vienna are generally very quiet (all stores are closed, no exceptions), so I'm looking forward to a relaxing day at home. I'm going to the Visa office tomorrow to get everything approved for my work Visa, so cross your fingers that they don't deport me!

Just kidding...I hope! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment