Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Snowy Weekend in Salzburg




This post is about a week overdue, but better late than never, right?

Two weekends ago, I went back to Salzburg with the Herkners. We had such a great time. I feel like I'm really starting to bond with the boys, and taking these little family trips really helps me get to know the family a lot better without the stress of the work week.

Instead of staying in Jonas's room, this time Harald, Irmgard, Vinzi and I stayed in the guest house. It was the most adorable little Austrian cabin - wood burning stove and all! The first morning, I looked out the window and thought for a moment that it was Christmas morning.

Here's what I saw:







It snowed all day! This also mean that, as the Nanny spending the day with seven boys, I was dodging snowballs all day long, too. :)



Something about the first snowfall always seems to put people in a good mood. Everyone was so relaxed and happy all weekend. It really did feel like a holiday. We even ate goose our last night!




Vinzi patiently waiting for everyone to get ready so that he can go outside and play in the snow...


Our Austrian Cabin!

This is where I slept. Not the most comfortable bed, but at least I was in the room with the stove! Nice and cozy!




The original Singer sewing machine. (I took this one for Mom and Grandmum).



"Das Bauernjahr" = "The Farm Year"
Irmgard told me that this is a very typical decoration in Austria. This one was hand stitched by her Aunt.


I don't think the decor gets more Austrian than this!





We spent the snowy Saturday at the salt mines in Salzburg. I had actually already been to the salt mines in 2002 when I went to Germany with my class from high school. It's pretty incredible that I've gotten to have such a unique experience twice in my life!



Everyone had to wear these silly white jumpers. Simon looked like an adorable marshmallow man.



On our way to the mines!




Still trying to look cool. :)

(The boy in the middle, Lucas, is TWELVE. I think he's already 6'4"!)

We crossed the border into Germany! Underground!
Also: the woman who took this picture was with her family from Boston. Funny hearing "Boston" English in Austrian salt mines.









Sweet little Sara had to hold her own with all these boys...




We took a trip up the mountain to see a view of the Austrian Alps. Unfortunately, it was too foggy to see anything. Still a pretty cool picture, though!

I liked this picture in Sepia.


Lolo & Me!

Poor Vinzi had cold hands.


Snowball fight action shot.

An Austrian Rock.



Nice in Black & White.

This past weekend, I stayed in Vienna and the Herkner's took another trip, as the kids had Monday and Tuesday off from school once again. I was able to catch up on various things, and I went to a Halloween party! I'll be posting those pictures later this week, but I thought this was enough for one post.

I hope everyone is enjoying the start of November, and I'll report back soon!





1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda - We haven't met but I'm a friend of your parents, and have been really enjoying your blog. Thanks for these great pictures! What a wonderful experience you're having. So glad you're chronicling your time in Austria - you'll treasure this when the years go by and you can't remember all the special little moments. Enjoy each one of them!

    ReplyDelete