Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Is there really a "right" way to sing Mozart?

Tonight, I'm going to see Le Nozze di Figaro at the University of Vienna. Of course, Cherubino is still a role that I covet, and have yet the opportunity to perform.

I've coached and coached the famous aria, "Non so piĆ¹ cosa son", but am never 100% satisfied with the way it feels. I looked up three very famous mezzos singing the aria: Joyce DiDonato, Susan Graham, and Frederica von Stade. Each version is very unique, and each singer takes interesting liberties with the aria. Maybe this is why I have such a hard time with it; there are so many different paths of interpretation!

It's so frustrating for me because I think this aria sounds so much easier than it is. It's also a difficult audition aria because it's supposed to sound nervous and angsty, but sometimes it's tough to separate from the actual adrenaline during an audition, making breathing harder than it should be.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on the three singers. I'll keep my own to myself for now. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment